Monday, January 19, 2015

How to Make a Dream Catcher

In this blog post I will be going through the step-by-step process of how to make a dream catcher and I will show pictures of how mine turned out.

First, you're going to need a metal hoop to use as the main part of the dream catcher. This is what the web is weaved to. I got my hoop from Michael's, but the smaller hoops I used were some old bracelets I found at Value Village.


You're going to take the hoop, and glue an end of your faux leather string to the hoop. I used a hot glue gun for this to make sure it actually stayed in place. Then, you're going to begin wrapping the string around the hoop, making sure there's no space between the string. This way you won't be able to see the metal underneath. You're going to do this all the way around the hoop. 


Once you've reached the end, you're simply going to the glue the other end to the hoop, cutting off any extra string. 


After your hoop is finished, you begin the weaving. This part I found to be tricky because you have to do the spacing between the loops just right or your web might not have the circle centered. You are going to take your wax string and tie a knot onto the hoop. Make sure it's nice and tight. 


Once the knot is tied, you're going to bring the string over to the next part of the hoop, about an inch from the knot. You're going to wrap the string around the hoop and then repeat this step all around the hoop. 


Once you reach the knot, you want to repeat the previous step, but this time looping the string through the middle of the loop you made. Make sure it's centered and always pull tight, otherwise the web could collapse on itself. Continue doing this until you cannot for the string through the loops any longer. 


I tried to put some beads on mine to see what it would look like. I think I would use much smaller beads next time because they were a little bit tricky to fit on the loops. One of my beads also broke once I got close to the end. 

Eventually you will get to the point where you can no longer fit the string through the loops. At this point, tie a knot in the string and cut off the extra. 


This is what your dreamcatcher will eventually look like. If you want a different pattern, try spacing the loops closer together or farther apart. Next you can add feathers or other little trinkets to hang from the bottom of the catcher. 


I added feathers using some wire, which wasn't too easy to bend on it's own resulting in the use of pliers, as well as wire cutters. 

Finally, you're going to add a loop of string to the top of your dream catcher so you can hang it. I used the wax string for this. 


This is what my dreamcatcher ended up looking like! Now that I know the basics I can't wait to try some different patterns, use different sized hoops and experiment with beads and strings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment